THESCRAPBOOKEXCHANGE.COM is HERE!


Click below to visit

TheScrapbookExchange.com






Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Sad Day in History...

My husband on duty :)

Well, it's September 11th once again. Happens every year doesn't it? I don't like this day. Do you remember what you were doing when the planes crashed into the World Trade Center? I remember... vividly. I just had surgery, my mother was here to help me take care of my boys. A gal I worked with called me and woke me up; I was scared because usually I don't get phone calls that early in the AM and my husband was on duty so I figured something was up. (He's a firefighter/engineer here in Medford) I was told to turn on Fox News NOW which I did, just in time to see the second plane hit the building. By then, my mom was up and walking into my bedroom. My husband called immediately after that and told me as well to turn on the TV. My mom and I sat on my bed watching the TV- we were scared, speechless, and very teary eyed.

My husband was off duty that morning at 8AM. He came home, and we watched the news as the buildings came crashing down, as the news broke about the Pentagon... as President Bush was notified in a classroom that war had been declared on a nation he had only just began to preside over. The look on his face is burned into my memory. The tearful speech he gave that evening, was hard to watch - he's supposed to be strong right?

My husband, a week prior to this event decided that he would apply for the Fire Department's HazMat team- thinking it would look good on his resume within the department for future promotions. The department at that time was only looking to fill one position and Dan knew the person who would likely get this position- it wasn't that big of a deal to him if he wasn't number one on the list. The day after 9/11 the department decided to take on 3 new HazMat Technicians, Dan was #2 on the list. Had 9/11 not happened he wouldn't be walking around in a moon suit every time there is white powder left somewhere. Anyway... we got the call the day after, all Emergency First Responders had to attend meetings - Departments everywhere were now realizing how badly they needed plans in place in case something like this were to happen again. New immunizations were next :) All sorts of scary things to prepare those who respond first to tragedy... this was such an awful time for me.

I think the worst part of 9/11 was my incessant need to have the NEWS on at all times. Like if something were to happen I'd see it there first and be ready for anything right! Well... I had a 1 year old and a 3 year old at the time. They were very used to seeing their daddy in his turn outs- and loved all things Firefighter related... after all their daddy was a hero in their eyes. So- while watching the news, seeing all the firefighters on TV- my oldest boy said to me "look mommy, daddy is on TV!" I raised my voice to him and startled him and myself - "that is NOT YOUR DADDY!" Then I realized that I was having some real issues with this whole thing. Never before had I been scared for my husband and his choice of profession - he could just as easily walk out the door one day and be hit by a bus right? Well... now I'm scared. 7 years later and I'm still scared.

If you want a good cry... check this out:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-4OeYvOdL8o

If you want to support a great cause, check out my charity auction on ebay with proceeds supporting the Courage & Valor Foundation for Fallen Firefighters of 9/11.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130152525731&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

No comments: